We are happy to announce that we are a proud provider of invisalign-The clear alternative to braces! Call today to hear about specials and schedule a complementary consultation with our resident Orthodontist!
Ultherapy is the only FDA-cleared procedure to non-invasively lift the eyebrow, neck and under-chin.
Now, FDA-cleared to improve décolletage lines and wrinkles!
What is a chemical peel?
If you are not familiar with chemical peels, you may be a bit daunted at the thought. Could putting an acid on your face that peels away your top skin layer really help? The answer is definitely yes.
As counterintuitive as it sounds, chemical peels can actually improve your skin’s appearance. The safe and effective acid penetrates the outer and middle layers of skin, removing damaged cells. After a few days, the skin flakes and peels. The new skin underneath is usually smoother and less wrinkled than the old skin. Signs of aging are literally peeled away.
At Northwest Medi Spa we use one of the most popular chemical peels on the market — VI Aesthetics’ VI Peel. The unique blend of ingredients (see below) in the VI Peel produces powerful results with no pain, no skin preparation and very little downtime. The VI Peel is a medium grade peel that can be used on the face, as well as the hands, neck and chest.
The VI Peel is great for:
· Treating hyperpigmentation and melasma
· Reversing sun damage and signs of aging
· Improving fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, freckles and moderate skin discolorations
· Improving skin tone and texture
· Clearing acne and reducing acne scars
· Stimulating collagen growth and elastin production for firmer skin
· Treating some precancerous skin growths, such as actinic keratosis
The VI Peel is a combination of several of the most effective medical peel agents available including:
TCA – Trichloroacetic Acid for penetration, deep scar healing;
stimulates collagen growth
Retin-A – acid derived from vitamin A to combat wrinkles
Salicylic Acid – this beta hydroxy acid (BHA) is an exfoliant
Phenol – has antiseptic and anesthetic properties; aids in skin penetration
Vitamin C – ascorbic acid has antioxidant and mild exfoliation properties
At Northwest Medi Spa, we have the VI Peel on special for $225 (regularly $325) until the end of February. Give us a call and let us help you peel into a new year with younger-looking, smoother skin.
Winter is here, and for most of us, our summer tans have faded away. That makes it a perfect time to try laser hair removal to get rid of unwanted body hair. Here are a few tips on how to prepare your skin for laser hair removal treatments.
1. Talk to an expert. If you are considering laser hair removal, the first step is to schedule a consultation to determine the specific laser treatment needed to meet your hair removal needs. Northwest Medi Spa offers state-of-the-art hair removal technology. The settings on our lasers can be adjusted depending on your hair and skin color. In fact, we have lasers for both light AND dark skin tones.
2. Ditch the tweezers and avoid the sun. Before your first session, it is important to avoid plucking, waxing or electrolysis for six weeks. The laser needs to be able to identify the hair follicle. You MUST stay out of the sun. Any tanning of the skin can result in pigmentation in the areas you laser. That’s one of the reasons winter is a good time to have laser hair removal done.
3. Shave with a new razor. On the day before your treatment, you should shave with a clean, new razor. Shaving allows the laser to reach the hair follicle underneath the skin with full power. Using a clean, new razor ensures there are no lingering bacteria that could cause contact dermatitis after your laser treatment. (Contact dermatitis is a delayed type of allergic reaction of the skin resulting from skin contact with a specific allergen.)
4. Be patient and persistent. It takes six to eight treatments to see a significant reduction in hair growth in the treated area. So plan on coming back.
5. Blonds don’t always have more fun. Laser hair removal is not as effective on blond or red hair. Lasers works by picking up the contrast between the hair follicle and the skin pigment. With blonde and red hair, the hair to skin pigmentation difference is much less.
Northwest Medi Spa is offering a December special on laser hair removal. Buy a six-treatment package and receive a second area (of equal or lesser value) free. Call and schedule an appointment today. (541) 318-7311.
For laser skin resurfacing and pigment correction, Fraxel is the most effective non-surgical solution available. Fractional laser resurfacing is the most advanced way to smooth the skin’s surface and improve aging, wrinkles, sun damage, acne scarring, and other skin texture problems, all with minimal downtime.
Smooth, Even Skin
Fraxel does an excellent job of treating skin problems because it’s so precise, leaving you with smoother, younger-looking skin.
Subtract Years From Your Appearance
Fine lines and wrinkles bear the brunt of the blame when it comes to signs of premature aging. But hyperpigmentation, pothole-size pores and an uneven skin tone can all add years to your appearance. Northwest Medi Spa uses Fraxel to restore a more uniform, translucent tone, and correct hyperpigmentation.
Erase Hyperpigmentation and Discoloration
Caused by years of sun exposure and oxidative damage, sunspots, age spots and pigmented blotches are often resistant to topical treatments. Fraxel is revolutionary in its ability to correct hyperpigmentation and discoloration on the face, neck, chest, back, arms and legs in just a few treatments. Dr. Nonweiler also recommends Fraxel for patients who are seeking to:
Treat acne scarring
Tighten large pores
Improve skin tone and texture
Erase the effects of sun damage, including facial wrinkles
Mitigate melasma, which is typically caused by hormonal fluctuations
How Fraxel Works
In the past, lasers used for rejuvenation were not fractional. They would treat a wide area of skin at the same time. This limited both the depth and the intensity of the treatment that could be given. With fractional treatment, only a set percentage of the skin surface is treated during each session. Thus, healing is quick and not prone to scarring or loss of normal skin color. With Fraxel, new collagen is formed in the treated areas as the skin renews itself.
Is Fraxel Safe?
Fraxel uses patented fractional laser technology to target ageing and sun-damaged skin and to reestablish a more youthful, refreshed appearance without the risks or complications of surgery. While patients who are pregnant and nursing should avoid the treatment, the Fraxel technology is safe to use on both men and women and on nearly every skin type.
Let Fraxel help recover your skin’s youthful appearance. Schedule a consultation with Northwest Medi Spa to see if Fraxel is right for you (541) 318-7311.
You want to return your skin to its former wrinkle-free, smoother self. But the options are so confusing. What are fillers and injectables? What is Botox? How do you know which is the right solution for your skin?
Cosmetic injectables such as Botox and dermal fillers such as Juvaderm are quicker, less invasive and less expensive options to facelifts. Both smooth away wrinkles, but do so in slightly different ways and therefore work on different areas of the face.
Botox, Dysport and Xeomin
These three products are made from the bacterial toxin botulin. Sounds scary, but they are an FDA-approved, safe and effective way to eliminate wrinkles. Injected into the muscle, they work by blocking the signals from the nerve. This causes the muscle to relax, thereby smoothing out nearby wrinkles. Botox, Dysport and Xeomin last about four months. In general, they work best on the upper one-third of the face including forehead lines, crow’s feet and frown lines.
Juvederm, Belotero and Restylane
They products are dermal fillers. Dermal fillers are injected under the skin to fill in lines and creases. Several different types of substances are used, depending on the product and type of wrinkle. Fillers work best on the lower half of the face and can also be used to plump up cheeks, jawlines and temples, and to fill out thin lips.
Juvederm, Belotero and Restylane use hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance found in the body. Hyaluronic acid fillers are very versatile and act like an inflated cushion to support facial structures and tissues that may have lost volume or elasticity due to normal aging. HA also brings water to the surface of the skin to keep it looking fresh and supple.
Restylane can also be used in very fine lines close to the surface of the skin. Restylane has a slightly better lifting capacity than Juvederm but doesn’t last quite as long. Restylane is good for areas that are hard to lift or fill.
Other fillers such as Radiesse and Sculptra use FDA-approved synthetic substances that help replace lost collagen. Radiesse consists of calcium microspheres that over time stimulate collagen growth. Radiesse is good for the checks and jawline.
Sculptra is more of a collagen stimulator than filler. After a series of treatments, Sculptra’s results can last for two or more years.
The best way to decide which product is right for you is to schedule a consultation with one of our estheticians. For more info call Northwest Medi Spa at (541) 318-7311.
High performance cleansers, cellular regeneration creams, hydrating serums, and of course sunscreen. All are important parts of our skin care routine. Now add sweat to that list. Yes, sweat.
Exercise is a vital ingredient in keeping our skin supple and young, and should be an important part of your beauty regime. From increased blood flow to creating substances that slow the aging process the benefits of exercise for the skin are many.
Dr. Nonweiler is a firm believer in staying physically active. An avid exerciser herself, she has competed in several Ironman Triathlons. She believes exercise not only helps us look and feel good physically, it also helps us feel better mentally by relieving stress and adding balance to our busy, overscheduled lives.
Check out this WebMD article for even more information on the many ways exercise benefits our skin. And if you exercise outdoors, don’t forget the sunscreen.
What is the Best Way to Get Rid of Unwanted Hair?
If you are considering permanent hair removal for the first time, you may be confused by the numerous options available. Which treatment is the most effective?
What is the difference between IPL and Laser Hair Removal?
Many clinics offer Intense Pulsed Light technology or IPL. IPL treatments are less expensive than laser treatments but they are not nearly as effective.
Both laser and Intense Pulsed Light treatments involve producing light energy, which is absorbed into the dark pigment of the hair to ultimately cause damage to the hair follicle. Hair growth is then reduced without damaging the surrounding tissue.
The main advantages of laser over IPL based technology are:
- Lasers are far more precise, and can selectively target dark, coarse hairs while leaving the surrounding skin undamaged.
- Each laser pulse takes a fraction of a second and can treat several hairs at a time.
- Laser hair removal can be used to treat larger body areas.
- Laser settings can be adjusted to suit your specific skin tone and hair color.
- Lasers are safe forall skin colors, whereas IPL can cause burns on darker skin tones.
The main differences between laser and IPL for hair reduction lie in the technology that each use to generate the light, as well as the different properties of the light being used.
- Laser machines produce a single wavelength of light (pure light consisting of one single color and form), which has a very concentrated beam and specific target (the melanin in the hair follicle).
- Laser machines are tuned to emit the exact wavelength required to treat your hair.
- IPL’s are not lasers. The machines produce a broad spectrum of wavelengths (like a light bulb) and cannot be focused to a concentrated beam. Because a range of different wavelengths is dispersed at a variety of depths only some of these will be effective for hair reduction.
- A shallower penetration in comparison to laser means that deeper, thicker hairs are not treated effectively. In addition, some of the light can be absorbed into the surrounding tissue as well, leading to heating of the pigment in the skin. This is why there is more of a risk of burns for darker skin types.
Laser Hair Removal at Northwest Medi Spa
Laser is definitely the best way to go for permanent hair removal. At Northwest Medi Spa, we use only Candela lasers, considered the gold standard and most effective types of lasers available. Call us at 541-318-7311 to finally get rid of that embarrassing, unwanted hair.
Here at Northwest Medi Spa we believe that diet affects the skin. While it can be hard to tease out what elements in our diet have beneficial effects, a study by Maeve C. Cosgrove and her colleague published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in 2007 showed that patients whose faces had a wrinkled appearance reported eating significantly less protein, potassium, vitamin C and vitamin A. Dry skin was observed in women with lower linoleic acid (an essential Omega-6 fatty acid) and vitamin C.
We have seen the significant benefits of using the biologically active form of vitamin A on the skin in the form of retinoic acid. Another name for retinoic acid is tretinoin, often referred to as Retin-A, which is the original trade name of the product. In addition, vitamin C has been used for years topically as a potent antioxidant, repairing sun damage and preventing many skin conditions including skin cancer.
At Northwest Medi Spa we offer a host of topical products that have been shown to help the cosmetic appearance of the skin and more. For healthy, great looking skin, we recommend a nutrient-rich diet low in processed carbohydrates and saturated fats while high in Omega-3 fatty acids, protein, vitamin C and vitamin A. Oral supplementation of these vitamins and nutrients should be considered if your diet is lacking in these elements.
We have a large variety of effective topical products available at Northwest Medi Spa. If you have questions or need to purchase skin care products, feel free call us at 541-318-7311. LIKE us on Facebook to stay up-to-date on Northwest Medi Spa news and promotions.